Monday 27 October 2014

Lerato's baby blanket

Last week on Ons Hekel, at least two baby blankets were finished. 

I completed this one in V-stitch:

A blankie for Lerato's baby girl

...and a hooky friend completed a beautiful, light pastel hexagon blanket for her daughter's baby shower.


I started mine in great haste, next to the swimming pool where my boys have lessons:

http://haak-en-stekie.blogspot.com/2014/10/of-beanies-and-baby-blankets.html


...and then worked on it on our way towards the Garden Route:

http://haak-en-stekie.blogspot.com/2014/10/hookin-on-road-trip-and-new-coffee-spot.html


...worked away the edges over coffee with a friend:

(Hate this part...and I always leave it to the last).


And then finished over another:

A fello Pure-fan recognised the carefully disguised menu!

I edged the blanket with one row of SC, and then a couple of rows in HDC.  In retrospect I think linen stitch would have been neater.  

As for yarns, I used
Vinnis Nikkim Natural (the white colour)
Vinnis Bambi Peach (not shown below - a cotton/bamboo blend with lovely texture)
and
I Love Yarn Imagine in Guava, Antique Rose and Burned Butter

Angie's V-stitch graph here


My V-stitch blankie was delivered on Friday!

All done

The hexagon blanket - it was sent overseas by courier last week...but over the weekend we learnt that a baby girl was stillborn.

37 weeks.

While I'm happy about Lerato's little baby girl that's still on her way, I'm mourning with a hooky/book friend who lost her grandchild.

Into every blanket, we crochet our joy, hope, love.   
Sometimes that must comfort as well.

4 comments:

homemade@myplace said...

…. what to say ? I get lost in this sad realities…. I wish I could find a kind comfort as you do, but I'm not able to….

your blanket is so lovely …..
xxxxxx Ale

Jodiebodie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jodiebodie said...

You have done a beautiful job with your blanket but a very poignant end to your story and I am holding back tears. The grief of a stillborn child is deeper than any ocean. My heart goes out to the parents.
Even if it is too painful for them to look at a baby blanket in the midst of their grief, I hope such a beautiful soft blanket will bring comfort from the love in its making and the care it symbolises. I hope that in time, the blanket will become a treasured and tangible way to remember their baby.

Lisa said...

Die Decke ist wunderschön, so richtig was zum kuscheln.

Lisa