Tuesday 3 November 2015

Elise shawl V.2

And yeay! V.2 of the Elise Shawl is done.  




It is huge.  It is half a blanket.  It is a triangular blanket.  

Which is what I wanted - something to permanently leave in the car for those days when you spend 2-3 hours between school and judo, hurrying up and waiting for the half-hours between the beginnings and endings of the boys' extra-murals and suddenly, as it does here,  it turns cold.
And you have nothing. 

But now, now I can get my huge Elise Shawl in the car and wrap myself in it.

This thing gobbled up 626 g of Lollipop Vezuvo Aran (a very, very nice acrylic. I am a total sucker for natural yarns, but when I have something i the colour thath I want , and it is manmade, but the similar in wool/tweed costs almost 9 times that much...and you have to factor in the 626g...then I happily use the acrylic.  If and when a real wool in this colour with this one black fibre rocks up, and it doesn't cost R92/50g, then we can talk).

It also really hurt my arm.  I'm using an obscene amount of Reparil gel on from the shoulder right past my elbow, and I go to sleep while Mr Diclofenac does its thing :-0

That happens when I work too much, too long over a short period of time!

On Instagram I shared some photos of Where I Worked, because it went Everywhere with me:



Starting life at the dojo


Growing a bit at the wheel-alignment center
(And here Blogger is doing That Thing it sometimes does, hence the huge space...)




















It went on a road trip to Oudtshoorn, where it spent some time on the dashboard of the car, on a very hot day...

...resulting in a custom grip on my Prym 6

My MIL took one look at the pattern and said she has something similar.

Wouldyabelieveit?! 

Made by my husband's grandmother when MIL was a young 17, sometime around the early '60s

There's a tiny difference - 6DCs in the cluster where the Elise has 5, but that is about all. 

And guess what?  Just a couple of days later, I spotted this lady at the entrance to the veggie shop.  I chatted her up right there to take a look and showed her photos of mine.


She said she would really like a purple one

As it is acrylic, I couldn't really block, plus it is too big to try and steam block, so I just rinsed the shawl and hung it out to dry, pegged in a straight line.


There were so many questions about "what is it there at the bottom point of the shawl??"
It's my supersize  pegs, bought at the R5 shop and usually used to peg jeans :-) Here it added weight to pull the point down, without stretching it too much.



I can't wait to try this shawl out.  It's ready, in the car.  But, as luck would have it, we've just come through the hottest October ever recorded in South Africa - and on the rainy days this week, we weren't out in the cold. 




PS - Behind the scenes - this is what it really looked like :-D

-0-
-0-
-0-
-0-

It's already dark outside when my son takes a quick shot so I can show my sis! 
I take my pose in front of the stationary cupboard in the homework corner, still sporting my beach shorts of earlier that afternoon.

:-)

Ha ha!!




9 comments:

Happy in red said...

Now that's some #crochetonthego right there :-) How fun that you met a lady who was wearing a similar one. The Elise shawl, is it something traditional for SA? (In that case, I better make one and bring it next year!!)

homemade@myplace said...

beautiful and huge!!!!!!
xxxxx Ale

cristina said...

This shawl is really spectacular! I love it !!! I know what you mean when you say for to crochet inflammatory body! hahaha! many congratulations, excellent work! hope you have a nice day and kisses from Catalonia!

Amor said...

I really like this shawl a LOT! Really lovely. My next "to do' before winter next year. I also hear you when you talk about making something in natural yarns vs acrylic, sometimes its just more economical to go with the acrylic

Jodiebodie said...

Hi Stel,
So much to enjoy in this post, Stel. Your shawl is so practical and will definitely be appreciated, if not now, when the weather changes. (It was also the hottest October ever in South Australia with the temperature 5 degrees above average! This is a worrying trend). Your poor crochet hook after sunbaking on the dashboard!

I love your photo tour - how your Elise went everywhere with you while being made and now it is done, it will be your 'everywhere shawl' for use whenever and WHERever you happen to travel.

The grandmother-in-law coincidence is spooky; and the lady in the shop! Is it like a new car perhaps? You never notice a particular model car on the roads until you buy one and then you see it everywhere. Has that ever happened to you?

Now that your shawl is done, you need to rest your arm and shoulders. Be careful to avoid nerve damage in the shoulders from overuse because it is inoperable unlike carpal tunnel damage. I hope your pain settles down soon so you can keep up with your crochet.

Take care,
Healing hugs,
Jodie

Anne said...

This shawl is such a beauty!!! I wish I had seen it before as I would have made one like this for my wedding next week!!!

Take care
Anne
Crochet Between Worlds

patio garden furniture said...

You shawl is spectacular! I love it. Just beautiful!

LitlBits said...

This shawl is so lovely! Are you planning to share this pattern with us?
I've noticed problems with my right arm lately - when I crochet for more than a few minutes at a time...this is new and worrisome for me. Not sure what to do about it....I crochet because I cannot do physically what I want and need to do (Like housework, gardening, etc.) and if I can't crochet, I'll go nuts! I can't stand to just SIT and do nothing....And I still have a long list of must-do's for Christmas...gifts that I want to make, donations I hope to make (sending off a lot of hats to children's cancer center this week).

I'm hoping your pattern will be available soon...I'm going to watch for it...hopefully in English. Your work is just lovely!

note to Anne (Crochet Between Worlds) - best of luck in your new marriage...I'm sure your wedding was lovely and I look forward to pictures on your blog!)

Alhana said...

Your new shawl is huge and really beautiful. I also like to wrap myself in them too when it gets chilly. Great job!