Friday 19 February 2016

Playing with my Tiles-WIP

Instead of completing my own Winter Blanket, or my boy's Summer Throw, or any of the 5/6/7 various shawls/cowls/tryouts currently on the hook elsewhere in the house, I have been playing around on Moldiv, mosaic'ing my new Tiles Blanket WIP...oh ja, another new one :-D



There's been quite a few posts by Ons Hekel members the last couple of weeks, of beautiful tile floors, and similar comes by on Instagram almost on a daily basis (oh my soul, Anneke alerted me to THIS: I Have This Thing With Floors)and even on my dusty, sadly neglected Pinterest board there were tiles, mosaics, floors, rags...so I snapped to attention and declared it Time To Crochet A Tile Floor and luckily there's enough stash, I didn't even have to buy more.

I looked at many, many photos - on Ons Hekel, on IG, on my Pinterest, on Pinterest in general, in magazines (it's a dark vortex, I tell ya) and then just printed these two to come up with a basis for colour choices. I didn't even try to come up with exact matches, but I thought something lacy-ish would work. Quickly it was a mad rush through through possible patterns, and goodness knows, there's enough books here and in the end I decided on Jan Eaton's Croydon Square, yeehaaa which is working fine!  (Although the well-known Rustic Lace Square should work beautifully, as well as the Sorbet & Lace Square).

Match this.  Colourwise.  And cross fingers it will work out. 

I started out with 6 or 7 colours in different sequences  and combinations - believe me, I hooked and frogged and hooked and frogged this square so many times, discarding and adding and simplifying until I ended up with four colours.


Here's my yarn (and an unblocked square):

Mist (light blue), Pepper (greenish grey), Ivory (white) and Ruby (red)


All four of these colours have been tried out in all possible positions, but this one looked best:


This be the tile

Blocking acrylic is at best not a real option, but I did block it on a frame and steamed it quite thoroughly, relaxing those strands and getting it more or less flat and square.

And then I wondered "but will it work???", hence the above mosaic, and since it prove to be a hit on Ons Hekel, I took that same mosaic'd photo and mosaic'd it further to see a possible blanket...

Aaaah...gotta love cellphone apps!

Does it look like a tiled floor?

So this will be my blankie, albeit it a bit smaller.  I'll be making a lapghan to donate again to the Maak 'n Verskil group (Make A Difference) who distributes blankets to the elderly, children, disabled or general people in need. 

Edge.  What edging should I use?

But first, at least 29 more squares.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your tiles blanket!Good color choice!
It's a coincidence that I had the same idea some time ago.
I started off with 3 squares/tiles but now it's disappeared in a basket...
I'll have to work further on it when I see you pictures... gorgeous!
Have a nice weekend,
Sigrid

Jodiebodie said...

I didn't even know there was an app to mosaic photos. What a clever idea to use for crochet planning. I have only recently taken possession of a modern phone so the world of apps is new to me. What was the name of the program that you used?
The colours are lovely - worth all the frogging!
Have fun playing with ideas for edging. x

Desire Fourie said...

Stunning colour combo. Cant wait to see the finished blanket/throw.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Unknown said...

I love this blanket and block. Just a question... The Jan Eaton pattern... Does it include a diagram? Or photo's of the rounds as they build find? I find that easier to follow... And do not want to buy it just to find out it's word descriptions only.